World Doula Week is coming up March 22-28th. Kicking off on World Doula Day, the goal of World Doula Week is to showcase the impact that birth and postpartum doulas have on the physiological, social, emotional, and psychological health of women, newborns and families in the postpartum period.
Doulas are non-medical professionals who provide informational, educational and physical support during pregnancy, labor & birth and for the first 12 weeks of the postpartum period.
Benefits of the presence of doulas:
- Reduces the incidence of c-sections
- May shorten the length of labor
- Reduces epidural and analgesic requests
- Increases breastfeeding initiation and continuation
- Increases mother’s satisfaction of birth experience
- Can reduce the incidence of postpartum mood disorders
- Increases new parents’ confidence in the care of their newborn
Doulas Make a Difference
Throughout history, women have supported each other during pregnancy, birth and the postpartum period. In today’s society of scattered friends and families, doulas fill this vital role of support for the people birthing the next generation.
And families in Colorado have benefited from working with Grace of Life Doula!
“Monique was very thorough, going over my health history, reviewing my previous births, giving me different options to help progress my labor at home and planning for different scenarios leading to the birth. I appreciated that Monique desired to help me in every way possible while working with my husband. Monique has a gentle, calming spirit. During the birth she was by my side, helping me with breathing and positions. She helped me focus, reminding me not to guard against the pain.” ~J.R., Colorado mom
Support During and After Birth
Having a baby is one of life’s biggest transitions and greatest joys. However, many parents find themselves feeling extremely isolated and overwhelmed during pregnancy and the postpartum period after the initial excitement has subsided.
Hiring a doula can help reverse those feelings and provide the support that new families need to instead have a pregnancy and postpartum period that is filled with feelings of contentment and empowerment.
In honor of World Doula Week, here are the top 4 benefits of hiring a doula:
- Non-judgmental support – a doula does not come in with specific birthing plan or parenting style. Doulas do not push a specific ways of doing things. A doula is there to help you come up with your own birth plan and parenting style. She’ll help you figure out what feels right for your family. Doulas are also expert listeners who have no baggage of a family history with you.[Text Wrapping Break]
- More enjoyable maternity leave – doulas help ease the transition for new parents. Having a baby is a major life change. Doulas are there to calmly support you through the shift and help you focus on enjoying it, rather than muddling through it alone.[Text Wrapping Break]
- Expert advice – your doula can share what works for other families, and other ideas and tips based on her training and experience, IF YOU ASK. It’s so wonderful to have all your questions answered as you go instead of relying on Google.
- Decreased risk of postpartum depression & anxiety – research has shown that new mothers who feel supported tend to report less problems with postpartum mental health.
Grace of Life Doula, LLC provides birth and postpartum doula support to Colorado families and is now taking inquiries for October. You can learn more here. www.graceoflifedoula.com.
Let’s talk about your upcoming birth, and make it the most satisfying experience possible! Inquire today about upcoming availability.